Duo Security is opening a new office in Downtown Detroit, expanding from its headquarters in Ann Arbor, Michigan . The company will immediately relocate 30 team members to a shared space in Bamboo Detroit in the Madison Building and by the end of the year, and plans on moving into a 9,000 square foot space to accommodate additional employees.
This is a big win for Detroit.
Duo Security is one of the hottest security startups in the space and arguably one of the largest in the state of Michigan. The company raised a $70 million Series D in late October 2017, placing its valuation north of a billion. Duo employees 350 people in Ann Arbor and an additional 250 in other offices around the world. Through it all Duo has remained loyal to Ann Arbor but the talent and excitement in Detroit is impossible to ignore.
“Metro Detroit has more engineers per capita than any region in the US next to Silicon Valley,” CEO and co-founder Dug Song tells TechCrunch. “And while our college town of Ann Arbor is a cornerstone of innovation in the region, the urban area of Detroit is nearly 4 million people strong. Jon Oberheide and I have been eager for Duo to help play a role in the city’s growing momentum and support ongoing efforts to bolster the region’s technology profile.”
Dug tells me that the company picked Bamboo to house the first Duo employees as a move back to the company’s roots. Duo was founded in a coworking space and the company is ready to help build the platform for the city.Read »
- 1 Snapchat brings back chronological Stories feed for some
- 1 It's not just the IPO market that's booming — here's why this Silicon Valley VC says 2018 will also be the year of M&A
- 1 SurvAIllance
- 1 Robo Wunderkind wants to build the Lego Mindstorms for everyone
- 1 Dictionary app Reverso learns new tricks
- 1 Edovo raises $9 million to provide incarcerated people with tablet-based education
- 1 Salesforce is working on a blockchain product
- 1 Tencent and education startup Age of Learning bring popular English-learning app ABCmouse to China
- 1 Here’s the new trailer for Solo: A Star Wars Story
- 1 Following Singapore, Philippines regulator forces Grab to delay closing Uber’s app